Effectiveness and Efficiency in Winter Operations Project
Autostrade per l'Italia S.p.A
Purpose and Objectives
In 2011, Autostrade per l'Italia S.p.A launched a three-year initiative to improve procedures and operational efficiencies in winter operations. Key performance indicators for the project included 90% reductions in snow-realted traffic gridlock and congestion, and in situations where the travelling public had insufficient information on highway conditions.
Efficiency targets included:
- 20% reduction in the cost of salting
- 50% reduction in the cost of winter maintenance teams
- Reduced overall cost of winter operations, with no loss in effectiveness, by restructuring management and opening winter maintenance services to a wider pool of vendors.
The agency also engaged a professional weather forecasting service to provide continuous updates on potential storm conditions.
- €4 million budget, 90% of it to acquire and outfit new vehicles, funded with internal resources
- 100% reduction in traffic gridlock due to snow, from 40.7 hours in 2010/2011 to 0 hours in 2012/2013 and 2013/2014
- 93% reduction in congestion due to snow, from 240.4 hours in 2010/2011 to 17.6 hours in 2013/2014
- 91% reduction in situations where customers had insufficient information, from 69 in 2010 to six in 2013
- 20% reduction in salting costs
75% reduction in winter maintenance costs.
In 2013, Autostrade per l'Italia S.p.A received ISO 9001 certification for winter operations management. By that time, the EEWO Project had delivered new strategies for managing winter operations and heavy snowfalls, in-depth training for regional and headquarters staff, and a more efficient strategy for sourcing and deploying road salt, resulting in a 10% reduction in the number of vehicles required to service a 13% increase in lane kilometers.
Enrico Valeri, Coordinator of Operating Network